Comments about Microsoft and the GPL

Kamin Horvath mohaas05 at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 21 12:48:33 UTC 2009

I think this is a great contribution by Microsoft, and shows that maybe they
are willing to cooperate with the open source community.

But I am a little worried, as there is always the chance that this could be
the groundwork of their infamous "embrace, extend, extinguish" policy. But
hopefully, it will be a genuine contribution and in the future we can look
foward to further contributions and cooperation with Microsoft.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>wrote:

> On 07/21/2009 12:04 PM, Keiran Smith wrote:
>
>> Well looks like us linux users can look forward to some of the
>> instabilities of windows in our Own Operating Systems. What are
>> microsoft thinking
>>

> I don't think you will be affected by this code unless you run a
> virtualized Linux guest on a Windows host and if you do that... well,
> probably you already have bigger problems :p
>
> I am quite pleased by the Microsoft announcement, from now on when an MS
> astroturfer will try to throw FUD at me about Linux being inferior security
> and quality wise compared with Microsoft solutions I can smile and point
> Microsoft *is* a contributor to the Linux kernel.
>
> The same about GPL: after releasing code under GPL, it would be really
> embarrassing for Microsoft to call again it as being "communist", "cancer"
> or "Pac-Man".
>

>  On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
>>
>>    While this isn't 100% Fedora related, being such fans of upstream that
>>    we are, we can definitely go somewhere with this. You've probably seen
>>    in the news by now that Microsoft is making a pretty substantial
>>    contribution to the Linux kernel.
>>

>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2009/Jul09/07-20LinuxQA.mspx
>>

> --
> nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/