Comments about Microsoft and the GPL

Rashadul Islam irashadul at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:36:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:25:14PM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > On 07/21/2009 12:04 PM, Keiran Smith wrote:
> >> Well looks like us linux users can look forward to some of the
> >> instabilities of windows in our Own Operating Systems. What are
> >> microsoft thinking
> >
> > I don't think you will be affected by this code unless you run a
> > virtualized Linux guest on a Windows host and if you do that... well,
> > probably you already have bigger problems :p
> >
> > I am quite pleased by the Microsoft announcement, from now on when an MS
> > astroturfer will try to throw FUD at me about Linux being inferior
> > security and quality wise compared with Microsoft solutions I can smile
> > and point Microsoft *is* a contributor to the Linux kernel.
> >
> > The same about GPL: after releasing code under GPL, it would be really
> > embarrassing for Microsoft to call again it as being "communist",
> > "cancer" or "Pac-Man".
>
> I think it's quite simple for Microsoft to say, "We still don't like
> the GPL, but because these drivers will help our customers, and
> because this license is required to get them in the kernel, we've done
> it."  Certainly there are places in Microsoft that are open to
> thinking constructively about open source and how it fits into their
> business and customer engagements.  But I think trying to cast it as a
> philosophical sea change is wishful thinking.
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>  irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
>
> --

Hi all:

-what is the best side of this with Fedora and are we supporting this, if
yes then why?
-More than, does anyone can violate the GPL license rules for their own
business?
-Why we saying Microsoft as a contributor to the linux kernel while it is
already developed by Linux contributor?

Rashadul Islam
GPG 5557BFAC
irashadul at gmail.com