desktop relevance

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Wed Mar 25 20:01:49 UTC 2009

Good Evening,

I was a bit disappointed to read the interview with Jim Whitehurst on
InfoWorld where he talked about (Red Hat's) Linux desktop's relevance.
On the one hand I agree with him that desktops will move more and more
to hosted applications or virtual frameworks. But besides that Red Hat
already offers a gread desktop product with a large userbase: Fedora.

Also web based components will be more and more integrated into
traditional desktop products. Please remember that there are still a
lot of people out there using old versions of Windows, too. These also
want to take part in the online future. So there will be backports and
browser plugins.

And note: Fedora does offer all of that great features, today.

But as InfoWorld is a traditionally business-oriented netmag the focus
was on 'making money with Linux desktops' I can somewhat understand
his position. You can earn more money with services and solutions. I
am just disappointed that it has not been clearly stated that the best
way to keep up on that road is to use free components and to improve
the (free) Linux desktop experience.

Best Regards
Marcus