In-depth profiles

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:56:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 11:16:33AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 10:33:38AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> >> I'm going to pick up one, as discussed in last week's mktg meeting
> >> (although, I never got back to mchua to tell her I'd do it) -
> >>
> >> One question though, we talked about me doing a desktop feature, but
> >> nothing listed on this page is desktop-specific.  Do we still need to
> >> pick up 3 more interviews?
> >
> > Both the Ogg Theora video and NetworkManager enhancements are
> > desktop-centric features.  If you were interested in something more
> > comprehensive, and preferred to roll in some additional desktop level
> > features into a single interview, that would be OK too.  I think we're
> > at a point in the release cycle where you need to make that decision
> > quickly and then let us know here on the list.  I can help you find
> > someone to be your interviewee; I'm thinking of Dan Williams in the
> > case of NM, or Matthias Clasen in the case of Desktop overall.
>
> I think it might be easier for me to take on an overall-desktop
> interview, mostly because I'm not entirely sure I could come up with
> a reasonable list of questions on Just Ogg or Just NetworkManager to
> last for more than 5 minutes of interview time, since I'm not
> extremely in-depth familiar with either of them.

Don't make the mistake I did and generate a big ol' interview you then
have to spend hours and hours editing.  Yikes! :-D  I'm my own worst
enemy.  Well OK, actually that supervillain that magnetizes SUVs and
throws them around?  That's my own worst enemy, and then myself in the
#2 slot.

> I'm more an average user, so I think the questions I could ask on
> overall-desktop stuff would be (a) easier for me to understand /
> develop, and (b) probably play out well to other non-technical
> users.  I'll email matthias and see what/when I can set up, and
> cover the basics for the features listed in the F12 desktop-user
> talking points listed here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Talking_Points#For_desktop_users_and_everyone

I was in this position in the SystemTap interview and I think that
helped get answers that more people can hopefully grasp.  (Experts
will be bored, but I don't think it's our job to preach to the choir.)

> Also... it says XZ under consideration. Is there a timeline for
> deciding a yeah or nay on this as a talking point?

Fixed this, removing admonition.  The feature is on. There's a
niggling issue or two with noarch packages but those issues won't be
visible to most users, and even where they are, yum gracefully falls
back and it won't affect the positive parts of the feature.

> Would we still want someone to do something more in-depth on
> NetworkManager or Ogg?

I think you should absorb the NetworkManager stuff into the overall
Desktop feature.  As for Ogg, that one is still open for a taker.

Someone could add an in-depth feature they feel strongly about -- like
ABRT, for instance.