Ubuntu, SUSE, Fedora Linux updates prepped as Win7 release nears

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 16:25:48 UTC 2009

Yes, I agree that it's a good idea to set the record straight.
However, there is an ugly truth: the wider the coverage of anything,
the more errors there are... responding to them turns into
whack-a-mole.

To combat that, what's necessary is to go beyond error-correction to
influencing perceptions widely. When perceptions are positive enough,
Fedora users will whack the moles themselves, and clueless
commentators will educate themselves or lose credibility.

A key way to influence perceptions is to cultivate journalists. Nobody
likes to admit they made a mistake. Journalists get called clueless
and worse every day of the week, like everyone they generally accept
constructive criticism though. In this connection, Bob's comment was
exemplary: he politely set the record straight.

What I'm saying is, make changing perceptions part of the plan.
Although the media usually wish to present accurate information, what
they really want is accurate information which is also timely,
interesting, and topical. This is where press releases can play a
major role. Many journalists with 4 stories to file in the day will be
happy to quickly adapt a well-written release and put it up. When that
happens, you've made news, not reacted to it. Over time, awareness
rises within influencers, and next thing you know, most of them will
be able to write from memory that there are two Fedora releases per
year for example. Or whatever branding message you wish to spread -
that Fedora is high-quality, installs easily, etc.

Journalists know that Windows 7 is make-or-break for Microsoft; just
look how MS is taking risks they haven't before such as selling PCs
for the first time ever and painting all their national websites
green. The WinXP -> Win7 upgrade path is wipe and install... the same
as most WinXP -> GNU/Linux installs. So journalists know that now is
perhaps a better time than ever to talk about alternatives. When
Constantine launch time comes, perhaps a talking point to consider
beyond the great features is how upgrading to Fedora can be a better
choice than upgrading to Windows 7.

Sean