Ubuntu, SUSE, Fedora Linux updates prepped as Win7 release nears

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 11:37:06 UTC 2009

thanks Larry for that

to be clear, I do agree that the ZDNet piece was poorly written.
Contrast with http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/10/22/win7_launch/
which from the same information provides more meaningful analysis...

In my view, open source as a reporter's beat is past its prime. A few
short years ago, many large IT shops needed explanations due to their
dependence on the monoculture. I don't think that's the case anymore;
FLOSS has found its place in most areas of computing (desktop OSes
being a notable exception). After all, there is no "proprietary
software" beat, but organization by vertical market or technical
class. I myself am much more focused on the K-6 education vertical
market, and tend to want to see things through that prism; pundits in
that area compare FLOSS to proprietary all the time.

For good coverage of FLOSS, ars technica has a well-deserved
reputation, their analysis is based on actual reviews such as this
one: http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/10/ars-takes-a-first-look-under-the-hood-of-fedora-12.ars

Sean