Discussion: messaging index

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 15:17:32 UTC 2009

The idea of a Fedora Messaging Index came up in conversation, and I
thought the resulting email was one that should get forwarded out to
this list.

A messaging index is like an extended version of talking points - how do
we explain these things, what points should we keep in mind to bring up,
how do we respond to questions like X - it's not a script to read from,
nor is it a THOU MUST CHECK THIS!!! imperative (we won't run
rpmlint-presentation on your slides) but it's meant to be a helpful
resource that's available for folks who're figuring out their "Spread
Fedora!" plans, as both a framework as to what sorts of things one might
think about, and as a library to grab snips on.

---

...this is something I'd like to think about at FUDCon, because I want
to take the Tuesday immediately after FUDCon as our
everyone-online-let's-plan-our-F13-work time (and use spare moments
during hackfests to get folks thinking about this).

My initial thoughts are that a messaging index might not be the right
place to start out, since a messaging index should (afaict) be writing
down the stuff you're already saying, and so first we need to figure out
what the folks who are speaking are saying.

I'm starting to think about a list of tools I think (but do not know for
sure) would make life easier for The Next Marketing Lead, who should be
A Marketer and should not also have to be An Engineer. I think that
getting those tools up and running might be the best thing I can do
while I'm standing in these shoes. (In addition to release deliverables,
I mean.) FI has given us a taste of what an effort like this looks like,
and how to get better at doing it. (I know I've learned a lot.)

This is what I can think of and the order I would do them in. This list
is probably missing things; it's just off the top of my head.

1. location for publishing materials, incl. FWN (Fedora Insight)
2. survey (Robyn is working with infrastructure to get limesurvey up so
we can do marketing research)
3. event/presentation materials library (a place for people to publish
and find their slides, share signage, etc - work with Design for this,
possibly as part of a speaker registration/search thing like
http://geekspeakr.org)
4. automagical "track what people have been writing about Fedora, and
looks like, and wonder how Sean does it at Sugar Labs. (Google Alerts?)
I wonder if there is an open source version we can hook up.)

I think that once #3 is up and things start going on there, a messaging
index will almost write itself; once the People Presenting About Fedora
have a common place to share things, the things our presentations say in
common (or should say in common) will quickly become apparent.

---

Nothing super actionable or urgent now (though if someone wants to pick
up this project and run with it, go for it!) but it's a conversation
that was marketing-related and so it should get forwarded out to this
list. ;)

--Mel