Fedora-tour idea

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 08:10:50 UTC 2010

On 01/07/2010 03:03 AM, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> Advocatus diaboli would say on slashdot, via Matt Asay: "See, Red Hat wants
> to abuse poor little users for free testing" what would you counter to sth
> like that?
>
> FTR - I love the idea, but I want it to be perfect ;-)
>
> Jan

Ooo. Thanks, Jan - we need more advocatus diaboli on this list. ;)

It's an opt-in activity in the "do you want to learn how to contribute"
section of fedora-tour; you won't have to do this - or even see it - if
you're not interested. Basically, a "Learn More!" wizard instead of <a
href="http://link.org">learn more!</a>.

Alternatively: Think of it as an included lesson people can choose to
deploy if they're curious about how open source communities work
together, and how they can begin contributing to that ecosystem if they
take a look and decide they're interested.

I imagine there would be a "are you interested in learning about $foo?"
click, and then a "yes, I'd like to contribute in this way!" click; by
the time they get to the "hello, I am a QA contributor" part, they'll
know full well that's what they're doing, that they want to do it, and
that they have a choice that will not disadvantage them in any way if
they don't pick it.

(Would this work as a counter? What holes are there in it?)

--Mel