[Fedora-music-list] Late Introduction

Mon May 1 22:17:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 12:18 -0400, uzoma nwosu wrote:
> Hello, I'm Uzoma Nwosu.  I'm a Level 1 Support Engineer in GSS.  Just
> started in January.  Can't say I have any skills.  I've been a techno dj
> for almost 17 years, now.  My radio show was one of the early shows
> unofficially broadcasting over the net on wxyc (I didn't set up the
> first stream, my dj partner at the time did while he was at Sunsite).  I
> throw parties.  And I am one of the organizers of signal: the southeast
> electronic music festival (www.signalfest.com).
>
> What I would hope that we can do is really get the cream of the crop
> audio apps in fedora extras.  I would really love to see audio have a
> higher profile in the linux community.  And I gladly help in any way
> that I can to promote this.
>
> As for hardware, I've got a SB Live, and an Audigy (can't remember which
> one).  I'll have an old custom built Amd 1800 with 300Gb drive and 512Mb
> RAM that I can donate once I get my new machine in.
>
> I know some of you are way more technical that I'll ever be but can we
> have a dialog of the big picture as far as apps  are concerned?

You could start by taking a look at what's currently available in the
Planet CCRMA repository (which I created and maintain), surf to:

  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

(the version numbers are a bit off right now but the links to the
individual program web pages should take you to them).

> What is the criteria for bringing programs in?

I presume that the same core criteria that works for Fedora Extras.

> Is there any way that we not bring 10 billion audio tools that do
> the same thing?

[there are not _that_ many :-] Hopefully there will be not that much
redundancy, but if you say, for example, midi sequencers - there are
several of them, some just midi, some do other things as well, some are
loop based, some are track oriented, so it would be really hard to pick
one.

In other categories there are clear winners, but you get the picture,
not so easy to decide what's "duplicate functionality".

I _have_ done some culling over time, and some of the packages that are
on the web site are not available for later versions of the core
operating system as they are superseeded by better versions. One example
I could point out is the patch bay programs for the alsa midi sequencer
and for Jack. I'm currently only building Qjackctl which does both - but
I may include also one for MIDI only.

> Oh, and here are a
> few apps that I am interesting in helping to bring in:
>
> Mixxx - the closest usable digital dj app that I've found
> LMMS - Because it actually works like Fruity Loops a good for early
> adoption for novices
> Rosegarden - Haven't played with it but here it is solid
> Ardour -  Played with it, looks solid, wish it had docs

It has some...
    http://ardour.org/manual

-- Fernando