[Fedora-music-list] Re: package naming question: muse -vs - MusE

Aaron Sherman ajs at ajs.com
Mon May 8 23:12:39 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Anthony Green (green at redhat.com) said:
>
>> There are some discussions about merging parts of PlanetCCRMA into
>> Fedora Extras.  One of the problems has to do with package namespace
>> conflicts.  For instance, PlanetCCRMA has had a "muse" package for many
>> years (http://www.muse-sequencer.org).  But now FE has an emacs
>> extension package called "muse".
>>
>> One of the suggestions was to use the official project spelling of
>> "MusE" for the package name.  Do the Extras packaging guidelines allow
>> this (having both MusE and muse package)?
>> Some combination of CVS, bugzilla, and/or the buildsystem I suspect would
>> break.
>>
>> Frankly, I'd rename the emacs thing emacs-muse, but that's just me. :)

Why not call the CCRMA packages "<package>-CCRMA"? That way there's no
conflicts. If this is just a spec file change, it won't affect CVS, and
it's a relatively trivial build change. As for Bugzilla... well, I don't
know what kind of automatic hooks the software has into submitting bug
reports, but it should not be hard to strip the trailing -CCRMA for
submitting.

However, in this one case, I agree with the idea that if muse is an
emacs add-on, it should probably be emacs-muse.