[Fedora-music-list] Please remove subject prefix from list messages.

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu May 25 13:09:05 UTC 2006

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 11:20 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> Can the list maintainer please remove the [fedora-music-list] junk
>> from the mailing list subject line?  It's 2006 now, and I believe
>> the majority of people subscribing to mailing lists have long since
>> realized how to filter mail using X-BeenThere, or whatever other
>> preferred methods.
>>
>> There is no good reason to plaster the list name in the subject of
>> every single message.  All other Fedora and Red Hat lists consistently
>> do not have this junk in the subject line.  What's more is that
>> if there are people who /do/ prefer to have that junk there, they
>> can add it back to their own messages locally using procmail,
>> and sed or formail.
>
> Hear hear, etc.  I had to create this page to point to your post
> forever, because it is a succinct answer to something that bugs me.
> There are lists I cannot read because of the subject line clutter.

Heh, thanks. ;)

> That said, there is an appropriate fedora-music-list-admin at redhat.com
> address you could send this to, and for that I award you with:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PostIsOffTopic

Indeed..  I have to admit that I was rather reactionary at first,
rather than taking the time to go to the list page and directly
email the list admin (of whom I had no idea).

I should have known better, because it makes no difference what
list it is, who is hosting it, or what the standards are for
every single other list hosted on the same site (ie: every single
Fedora and Red Hat list for example) - there is always at least
one person who will argue vehemently for including the stupid
subject clutter because "they like it" or whatever.  I hang my
head in shame for being the catalyst for the invocation of that
nonsense.

Anyhow, I've emailed the real list owner now privately, to
politely request the list be reconfigured to have the same
configuration as the rest of the Fedora and Red Hat lists
for consistency.

As an added bonus for those who prefer the ugly list name in
subject crap - you can add it back to any mailing list you
are on with procmail:

:0:
* Subject: \/
| sed -e "[fedora-music-list] $MATCH"
fedora-music-list

Enjoy.

> - Karsten, pedant and laughing about it ;-)

:)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.