[Fedora-music-list] jack and /etc/security/limits.conf

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sun Jan 7 19:14:31 UTC 2007

Anthony Green wrote:
> One of the annoying things about running qjackctl on a fresh Fedora
> install is that you have to remember to edit /etc/security/limits.conf
> as per /usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.102.20/README.Fedora
> or else it doesn't work at all.  I'm wondering if there's something we
> can do to make this easier.
>
> One idea is to wrap qjackctl in a script that essentially parses
> limits.conf to see that everything is set up properly for $USER.  If
> not, it pops up a dialog box explaining the problem and offering to edit
> it for $USER.  If the user agrees, it runs a consolehelper app to fix up
> limits.conf and continues on with qjackctl.
>
> I just can't imagine how a new user gets anything running without
> stumbling upon that README.Fedora file or searching for help on the web.
>
> Good idea?  Bad idea?  Suggestions?

I was about to say "just let the install scripts do the change in the
background, without asking, and be done with it" but then I remembered
you have to specify the user name(s).

So, yeah, good idea, no doubt. Just make sure to distinguish between
installs being performed via an xterm running in an X session, and a
plain-text session via ssh, or via a local text console - the user will
have to be prompted differently in each case.

The question is - should qjackctl do the change, or
jack-audio-connection-kit? I can see arguments leaning each way.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/