[Fedora-music-list] jack and /etc/security/limits.conf

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Sun Jan 7 20:37:30 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 11:14 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> I was about to say "just let the install scripts do the change in the
> background, without asking, and be done with it" but then I remembered
> you have to specify the user name(s).
>
> So, yeah, good idea, no doubt. Just make sure to distinguish between
> installs being performed via an xterm running in an X session, and a
> plain-text session via ssh, or via a local text console - the user will
> have to be prompted differently in each case.

If we do it around qjackctl, then we don't have to worry about this,
since we're only talking about GUI console users.

> The question is - should qjackctl do the change, or
> jack-audio-connection-kit? I can see arguments leaning each way.

Hand-holding for command line users can be counter-productive.  Wrapping
qjackctl also solves the problem you describe above.

It would be nice to have this for Fedora 7, but I can't volunteer to
write it any time soon.  I just thought I'd write it down while I was
thinking of it, and would be really happy if somebody else had time to
do this...

AG