[Fedora-music-list] ardour 2.4 was out

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Apr 10 19:52:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 03:50 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Do we want Fedora/Music to be rock stable? Or do we want a fast moving
> music environment that keeps up to the latest and greatest? The later
> would seem more "in tune" with Fedora itself and is what I used to do on
> Planet CCRMA...

Well going by what started this thread, people seem to want the latest
and greatest. And the latest and greatest is kind of what Fedora is
about. Personally I have used Red Hat/Fedora since RH5.2 because it
always seemed to be able to ride the cutting edge without straying in to
the ragged bleeding edge. Perhaps we've stumbled over that line since
the RHL days, but I don't think I can make an objective judgment
anymore. I'm too deep in it now. :)

Also, music production is still a fairly new area of open source
development, an area that's still in rapid development. With some apps I
don't think there is much stability to be found by standing still. But
we should be a little bit careful. Perhaps we ought to make better use
of "updates-testing". Get updates out quick into testing, and get people
to test them before pushing them to the main repo. I wish it was easier
to just test certain packages without opening up your system to the
entirety of updates-testing...

And on a tangent, the main reason I got in to this Fedora music project
is due to CCRMA being too slow... as far as keeping up with Fedora
itself. :) A while back I was really wanting stuff from CCRMA, but at
the time CCRMA was still stuck on FC3/4 when FC5/6 was current. (Or
something like that.) That may have changed since then, hopefully
because of our work :), but at any rate, we should keep in mind one of
the big advantages of moving stuff into Fedora itself is you get the
full support of the entire Fedora project when it comes to major
distro-wide changes. The upgrade to gcc 4.3 for example. Automated
rebuilds are used to detect breakage early on, and fixed before release
so that everything is ready to go on release day. No more lagging
behind. The farther CCRMA diverges from Fedora, the harder it is to
rebase it on a new Fedora release.

(Which, as davej pointed out, is the same reasoning behind why we don't
like carrying kernel patches...)