[Fedora-music-list] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] [PlanetCCRMANews] the Planet lands on Fedora 10

Mon Dec 1 19:23:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 12:58 -0500, Hector Centeno wrote:
> I wonder what are the latest news about the issues with the RT kernel?
> It seems to me that all recent distros are struggling with it and I
> remember reading some thread in LKML a few months ago. Will it be
> possible to have a RT kernel in Fedora 10 any time soon? (I'm not
> pressuring, just wondering about getting some info to plan my
> upgrades).

The current status (for Planet CCRMA + Fedora) is as follows:

The rt patches available online are:

2.6.24.7-rt21
2.6.26.6-rt11 (last updated October 13th)
[http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/]

That hints as to the status of the rt patch :-(
How do they interact with Fedora >= 9?

2.6.24.7-rt21: stable and the one I would use, except for the fact that
the new X server in >= fc9 don't like something in the "old" 2.6.24
kernel and segfault every once in a while, taking the whole session with
it. Not usable unless you downgrade X to the one that comes with Fedora
8 (I tried it and that appears to work but it is not very practical).

2.6.26.6-rt11: that seems to mostly work but I have seen this kernel
hang hard. Not very often but it happens. The big problem (other that
the hangs) that I have with that one is that external midi interfaces
don't work when accessed through the alsa sequencer api. So, your midi
keyboard can't be used to control software synthesis, for example. I
tried to tickle kernel gurus to pay attention to this one but almost
nobody responded to my posts in lkml. One suggestion made midi input
work but the internal timer in the alsa seq api is not working (I have
not had time to try to get that fixed - maybe this week).

You may notice there is _no_ realtime preemption patches for 2.6.27.x
yet (and 2.6.28 is already in the rc status stage!). At least not in the
official web site. There is a tree somewhere I tried but at least for me
that did not result in a bootable kernel.

So.... back to the original question:

I could (and probably will) release a 2.6.26.x based rt kernel for fc10
soon, with the above mentioned caveats... (so not very usable).

Right now I'm just running Fedora's kernel on my fc10 test machine....
:-(

[the Fedora kernel developers are not interested in the rt patches and
currently RedHat's GRM kernel _is_ based on 2.6.24[*], so I don't
anticipate much change coming soon, the relevant gurus are not working
in up to date patches AFAICT]

-- Fernando

PS: That's the realtime commercial offering from RedHat and presumably
what Ingo is working on, see here:
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/RHEMRG/SRPMS/