[Fedora-music-list] ffado on fedora 9

Fri Jul 4 18:19:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 12:32 -0400, Christoph Doerbeck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working to get ffado installed and functional to operate a Focusrite
> pro26 firewire audio device.  My goal is a DAW using:
>  ffado
>  jackd w/freebob
>  rosegarden
>  hydrogen
>  sooperlooper
>  ardour
>
> If anyone has any experience/comments/suggestions with regard to ffado
> and/or freebob and jackd, your help is greatly appreciated.  I'll repost
> any progress I've made.

I got a few emails from Pieter about packaging faado (Free from 64Studio
and myself were copied). Does not look too easy - various issues. I have
not yet started work on this, it would be great if you could get in
touch with them (more below).

> Here is what I've done thus far (my blog
> http://bisque.linuxsoup.com/?q=node/42)
>
> Step 1) Compile ffado
>
> - At this time I'm not going to post all of the rpms I needed to add
> after a default Fedora 9 install
> - Update libraw1394 from rawhide repo
> + edit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-rawhide.repo to enable
> + yum update libraw1394
> - Retrieve ffado (run the following)
> + cd /usr/local/src
> + svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/linux-uvc/linux-uvc/trunk
> + cd libffado-2.0-beta6
> + scons
> + scons install
>
> Step 2) add libffado.so to system library path
> + echo "/usr/local/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ffado.conf
> + run 'ldconfig'

Why install to /usr/local? Is this temporary while you experiment?

> + below is output from one of the test commands
>
> [libffado-2.0-beta6]# tests/test-ffado ListDevices
> verbose level = 0
> Using ffado library version: libffado 1.999.36-
>
> === 1394 PORT 0 ===
> Node id GUID VendorId ModelId Vendor - Model
> 0 0x00241b00c18bab00 0x0000241B 0x00000000 Linux Firewire -
> 1 0x00130e0100030ba5 0x0000130E 0x00000003 Focusrite - Pro26IO
> no message buffer overruns
>
> Step 3) jackd with freebob driver
> + no luck yet

You need (at least) to rebuild jackd with support for faado (ie: package
faado and then include the development package as a build requirement
for jack-audio-connection-kit) - stock jack only supports freebob. Or do
a jack test build/install in the machine in which you have the faado
libraries installed. Stock jack packages do not include faado support.

It may be better to package svn jack. I don't actually remember the
state of faado support in the latest "stable" release (which has known
problems and is not actually "stable" :-). Current svn is supposed to be
better behaved than 0.109.x (current "stable") and that is what I'm
testing in Planet CCRMA right now and running in my laptop. The Planet
CCRMA jack package is also better tuned for the realtime kernels I
support.

> Step 4) fix step 3

I'm forwarding you the thread from Pieter in a separate email...
Best.
-- Fernando