[Fedora-music-list] Re: [Fedora Update] [old_testing] rakarrack-0.2.0-5.fc8 / fc9

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 9 12:32:06 UTC 2008

Leszek Matok wrote:
> Dnia 2008-11-09, o godz. 11:02:10 Leszek Matok <Lam at Lam.pl> napisa³(a):

... help doesn't work...
On the help file, I want to lengths to get the app internal paths
patched to use fedora standard locations for the help files. This seems
to work on F9, both help and license are correctly shown. Is that the
ones you are having trouble with on your rawhide machine ?

>> I can't hear anything.
> OK, I take that back. After investigation with jackd -v, it turned out
> rakarrack.in_1 doesn't automatically connect to system.capture_1. Fixing that
> with qjackctl makes everything work. (And disconnecting it again makes
> Rakarrack die in pain).
Can you normally disconnect a jack stream from a live application and
not cause trouble ?

> After spending another minute on brute-forcing sane colour scheme,
What you mention about adjusting the default colour scheme seems
reasonable. I did wonder whether rakarrack authors did this for a reason
- like the contrasting colours being easy to see when not really seated
at the computer, but in guitar playing position...
A reason to change might be that the colours are no good for the colour
blind ?

> I can now
> say Rakarrack is really neat and works great after you tame it :) You really
> need to make it behave well by default, though. Without it, I see no point in
> introducing this to "normal" users.

Do you have much experience with jack and/or apps using jack ?
The reason I ask, is a setting up jack document suggested the use of say
qjackctl to start and connect the jack streams is generally required
(which does of course make it more difficult for beginners to get
going). If there is easy ways to automate a basic
in -> rakarrack ip
rakarrack op -> amp
connection, that would really simplify basic use. I'm not sure it would
be compatible with other jack configs/usage ?

And cool, thank for trying it out Lam.

DaveT.