[Fedora-music-list] sound card order in fc9

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Sep 19 22:25:37 UTC 2008

Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale writes:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>
> > And furthermore, the ordering of the cards appears to be
> > non-deterministic!! That is, in a machine with two sound cards, repeated
> > reboots end up with different cards in the first slot! How can that be?
> > Something is throwing dice to select the card??
>
> I had this kind of problem with a M-Audio USB MIDI interface. This
> interface works only when it has been fed its firmware by the
> computer. So on the first boot, it was detected last, after the init
> scripts had a chance to upload the formware, whereas on subsequent
> reboots, the firmware was already there and the interface was detected
> before the PCI sound card.

I have three cards on two of my machines. I solved this problem by
reintroducing /etc/modprobe.conf onto those systems, using the classic
alsa syntax to order my cards the way I want them ordered.

Probably not the optimal solution vis a vis where Fedora is heading, but
it works for now at least.

Janina