[PlanetCCRMA] [Fedora-music-list] Re: for MIDI lovers: fluidsynth update

Tue Jul 21 16:28:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 17:12 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> >> I tried all 2x2=4 combinations of latest Fedora 11 kernel, latest rt
> >> kernel and jack, jack2. Same result :(
> >> Where shall I report this?
> >
> > Probably upstream? I don't know if there's a mailing list. It does look
> > like a bug to me... it is strange that it happens only the first time.
> >

> I reported it upstream:
> http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/ticket/51
>
> Then I located the problem yesterday. When I compile fluidsynth with
> portaudio support, I get the xruns even if I don't use the portaudio
> driver. Very weird indeed.
>
> I checked both fluidsynth and qsynth code and I don't see how the
> portaudio part ofthe code might affect jackd. Well, I modified the
> fluidsynth package in Fedora and removed the portaudio support. I
> don't think that this will make many users sad. Anyhow, I will see if
> I can find a true solution.

Wow, that _is_ strange.

Anyway, no tears here, portaudio should IMHO just die quietly (anything
built using portaudio for audio support will make for a very bad jack
client - one sad example is audacity, I think portaudio has no concept
of audio interfaces that can be "dynamic").

-- Fernando