[Fedora-music-list] Fedora "Jacklab" like spin

Simon Lewis simon.lewis at slnet-online.de
Sun Nov 8 10:08:16 UTC 2009

Hello Orcan

Assuming that the user does and will install packages from all 3 repos
(Fedora, RPMFusion and PlanetCCRMA) then there are in fact only 2
differences between the standard fedora spin and a "studio" type spin:

(1) A kernel with enhanced pre-emption (the so called "real-time" kernel
- although this name is misleading as RT-PRIO settings can be used
effectively with the standard kernel)

(2) The automatic configuration of the RT-PRIO settings and assigning
the users to the group that has real-time priority.

With regards to (1) the kernel with enhanced pre-emption should always
be available in the standard Fedora repository. Indeed the standard and
enhanced pre-emption kernels should always have the same version number
to maintain compatibility with the graphic drivers etc.. It would be
very little additional work for the kernel compilers to generate the
kernel with pre-emption at the same time as the standard kernel (This is
standard policy at openSUSE -since 10.3 - and Ubuntu - since 8.10).

Regarding (2) it would be nice to have an administrator's tool to do
this manually as well.

I would prefer to see as many packages as possible in the Fedora and
RPMFusion repos as both these repos are subject to "rolling updates".
That is too say the packages are always kept upto date (which is one
reason why I like Fedora). The PlanetCCRMA repos are not subject to
rolling updates.

As to the work load: (1) and (2) above apply to the standard fedora
distribution. The packages with tricky licensing issues to RPMFusion or
PlanetCCRMA or Livna

Regards, Simon