[Fedora-music-list] Fedora "Jacklab" like spin

Thu Nov 12 18:19:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 18:57 +0100, Simon Lewis wrote:
> Hello Fernando
>
> Thanks for the positive feedback, I'm looking forward to the final
> release F12, I tried the kde live beta and was surprised how fast it
> is. As soon as I have the final F12 installed I will try your rt
> kernel (2.6.31.6-rt19).

It will not be available immediately, there will be an announcement in
the Planet CCRMA list when stuff in the fc12 branch is testable (it
takes me a while to get up to speed after a new release, how long it
takes depends on how busy I am and any roadblocks and surprises I get
when building on the new release).

> I notice that openSUSE are now shipping - as standard with 11.2- a
> desktop kernel (2.6.31) with full pre-emption, 1000Hz clock and PAE.
> (See
> http://www.linux-community.de/Internal/Artikel/Online-Artikel/Open-Source-Spezial/Codename-Emerald).
>
> Where do I find the open build servers in Fedora / RPMFusion? By open
> build (with openSUSE) you can create one or more projects on
> openSUSE's server and the server is used to compile the sources based
> on your configuration settings. Whilst the input of the data and the
> configuration of the project takes time their seems to be an advantage
> in that the different architectures can be compiled in one run.

In the case of Fedora you have to become a contributor:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join
and more specifically:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

I presume the process is similar on RPMFusion.

> Given that each each distribution suffers for the lack of packages any
> method to improve efficiency must surely be considered.

There is a tradeoff between efficiency and security. You don't
automatically become a contributor and are able to build and release
packages, basically you have to earn trust (others have to review your
package before you can even think on building it, etc, etc).

-- Fernando