[fedora-my] Fedora-MY Bug #0

Johann Amin johann at akiss.com.my
Wed Oct 28 08:43:20 UTC 2009

On 10/28/2009 03:53 PM, Izhar Firdaus wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Johann Amin<johann at akiss.com.my>  wrote:
>
>>  From what I can see, most if not all of the FOSS activity is happening in
>> Selangor/WP. It is crucial to remember that the "MY" in FOSS-MY stands for
>> Malaysia (if by any chance it means Myanmar, please ignore the remainder of
>> this message). Selangor/WP !== Malaysia.
>>
> of course Selangor/WP is not Malaysia. but the active ones are located
> in this area. Also , FOSS-MY != Fedora-MY.

My bad. I've always preferred to use the term FOSS as it is more
"wholesome".
>> The first step is to find out who's who&  where. Draft out a roster and
>> appoint 2 to 3 persons as state/area administrators.
>>
> Currently in term of Fedora-MY group, majority are in Selangor/WP, and
> we kindof got Farouq at JB, thats for now. The rest are idle. There
> are also some Fedorans in Perak (UTP/UiTM)

Well, now you've got my name up here in Penang. If there are any
Fedora-MY lurkers around in Penang/Butterworth, you know who to call.
>> People are not going to join a cause if they don't actually see it in
>> action, which brings us to the second step. FOSS activities should be
>> rotated to different states/areas where potential/promising candidates can
>> come, see, touch&  smell the community.
>>

> Also, do note that Fedora-MY is a group with no money besides from our
> own shallow pockets. We cant afford (monetarily, and time) to cycle
> venues like that.

Sure I would like the pizazz & glamor of a ballroom event in a 6-star
hotel with free flow of champagne and what not, but FOSS is about
drawing interest, bringing awareness & fostering a community. Even if
you just setup a stall in the middle of a pasar malam with a 1HP petrol
generator, 2 notebooks and a megaphone. The moment someone stops to
inquire, we've done our job.
> Therefore, at this point of time, what we can afford is Selangor/WP as
> our starting point.
It doesn't have to be now and it doesn't have to be tomorrow, but as
long as we are sincere in wanting to making Fedora/FOSS activities
something that can be enjoyed/embraced by all, it is a good enough start.
> Until more consumers are converted to become
> contributors.

Build it and they shall come.

You need to define "contribution".  Most people wold take it to mean money.