Style reminders

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 15:30:26 UTC 2007

I'm doing some editing and cleanup of the AskFedora column, and wanted
to remind contributors about our Style Guide:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/StyleGuide

Please try to use *active voice* wherever possible.  The following is
passive voice, and is incorrect:

  "The formation of a Foobar SIG was announced."

The resulting tone implies that the author is hesitant to attribute the
decision to a specific party.  One of the most refreshing ethics about
FOSS communities is that we do work publicly and we take responsibility
for what we do and say on a regular basis.  As a result, the active
voice communicates our message more clearly:

  "FESCo announced the formation of a Foobar SIG."

Other side benefits of active voice are easier readability and
translatability/localization.