Ask Fedora Beat

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 26 07:46:02 UTC 2009

Hi

Please add this to the Ask Fedora Beat this week. I have trouble editing
the wiki pages. Chris Tyler, your answer is still pending

---

A question on Ext4, that has already been made the default in the
development tree headed for Fedora 11 was answered by Eric Sandeen, Red
Hat Ext4 and XFS filesytems developer.

Contributing Writer: Eric Sandeen

Francesco Frassinelli <fraph24 at gmail.com> wrote:

I've read that in F11 ext4 will be the default filesystem. What about
ext4 on solid state disk? Many websites and bloggerssay that it's
better to use ext2 because of the journaling, but in some kind of
operation (like applying upgrades) it's sooo slow. Could we'll use
ext4 on our ssd without compromising theirs life?
TBH I haven't tested ext4 on ssd yet, though we do have some in the lab,
I just haven't done it.

Eric Sandeen replied:

By default ext4 still journals pretty much the same as ext3 does, so if
you want to minimize writes to your flash, it should not be
significantly better than ext3 in that respect.

However, there is a patch to ext4 (merged soon if not already) to allow
it to run in a no-journal mode, so that may be a good option.

-Eric
---

Rahul