[Fedora-nightlife-list] A larger goal for nightlife

Bryan Che bche at redhat.com
Fri May 30 13:49:47 UTC 2008

Hi Jeff, thanks for your thoughts.  As a side-note, I spent yesterday
flying back home and landed to see the blog post I'd written in my hotel
room the night before had suddenly picked up a lot of attention.  So,
sorry for the delayed response. =p

I agree that Nightlife should be a vehicle to help advance the use of
open tools for scientific research.  In fact, I hope that Nightlife
impacts the way that lots of different communities can leverage grids in
the future.  Wikia has talked with some of us at Fedora about leveraging
this project to help with their Web crawling, and I think that would be
a great use of this resource and in the spirit of Fedora as well.

I'm not a member of the scientific research community, so I don't have
many answers to your questions.  But, I do interact with commercial
entities using proprietary grids as part of my day job.  And, many of
these enterprises would be interested in the work in this area at
Nightlife.  From my end, I'm happy to push and organize things to keep
moving Nightlife ahead.  If there are development tasks that need to be
done that are generally beneficial, I can help facilitate that.  I hope
that people with deep knowledge and connections into the various
research communities (like you) can help steer this project with expert
guidance.

Bryan