yum install ocaml-lacaml

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 19:51:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:43:50AM +0530, onkar bhardwaj wrote:
> Hi,
> I executed "yum install ocaml-lacaml" on my system but I don't know how to
> use it.
> Since this was installed using rpm, I am unable to know what module to open
> or
> which library to link and where yum has installed these things.
> Can someone send me a sample example? It will be a big help.

Sorry Onkar, didn't see this until now because of all the other status
messages on this list.  I hope this reply doesn't come too late.

You can use lacaml in various ways.  Certainly the easiest way is to
use ocamlfind / topfind, like this:

$ ocaml

        Objective Caml version 3.11.1

# #use "topfind";;
- : unit = ()
Findlib has been successfully loaded. Additional directives:
  #require "package";;      to load a package
  #list;;                   to list the available packages
  #camlp4o;;                to load camlp4 (standard syntax)
  #camlp4r;;                to load camlp4 (revised syntax)
  #predicates "p,q,...";;   to set these predicates
  Topfind.reset();;         to force that packages will be reloaded
  #thread;;                 to enable threads

- : unit = ()
# #require "lacaml";;
/usr/lib64/ocaml/unix.cma: loaded
/usr/lib64/ocaml/bigarray.cma: loaded
/usr/lib64/ocaml/lacaml: added to search path
/usr/lib64/ocaml/lacaml/lacaml.cma: loaded
/usr/lib64/ocaml/lacaml/lacaml_top.cma: loaded

You can then do:

  open Lacaml.Impl.S

and there are hundreds of functions available.  Probably best to read
the documentation:

http://hg.ocaml.info/release/lacaml/raw-file/release-5.4.7/README.txt

In general terms, lacaml on Fedora should behave and act exactly the
same way as it does on other OCaml distributions.  If there are any
differences, they might be bugs, so file a bugzilla.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/