Forked packages for OLPC

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Aug 12 19:43:15 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 02:01:27 pm Jeremy Katz wrote:

> > > rebuild against the old poppler

> > > using an old version not sure why.
> >
> > Who can investigate poppler and maybe figure out what's up?
>
> Apparently the sugar-evince needs the old one?  I suspect this just
> needs someone to sit down and do some updating.  I wouldn't expect it to
> be difficult
>
> > > ./telepathy-salut/OLPC-3
> > > has a patch that disables security that upstream wouldnt take.  i
> > > wanted them to add it as a run time option.  the dbus security breaks
> > > rainbow

> > > has a patch that disables security that upstream wouldnt take.  i
> > > wanted them to add it as a run time option.  the dbus security breaks
> > > rainbow
> >
> > Is this going to be a permanent fork?  Can OLPC move away from needing
> > this patch, or can we convince upstream to take an amended patch?
>
> And more -- what sort of security is the problem here?  dbus security is
> something that is kind of important, even for olpc.
rainbow executes activites as different uid's   the uids of the activities dont
have permission  to talk

> > > is needed
> >
> > Does it make sense to have an olpc-initscripts package that is in
> > Fedora proper?
>
> What sort of changes are being made here?  I could look and if there's
> not a response by later when I have time to investigate, I will :-)

enable prettyboot  which will need to be re-evaluated with plymouth.  likely
going forward all the will be needed is a olpc theme.

only have tty1 and tty2  and start console on /dev/ttyS0

exec /usr/sbin/olpc-dm instead of of gdm/kdm/xdm  etc

setup keyboard rules for the XO

make sure dcon is unfrozen if something goes wrong.

setup autologin on the virtual terminals and the console

not alot but not things that should be in fedora.

Dennis