State of Fedora spin

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 23:26:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 15:33 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> But with those taken care of, I can get an image built based on rawhide
> + that kernel that boots.  I then have to drop an xorg.conf in as the
> driver is busted and doesn't manage to auto-config, but that too should
> be fairly straight-forward to get fixed (bz#460581).

Okay, the kernel[1] that I used for this is at
http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/olpc/kernel/  (rpm + srpm).

I then took the kickstart that Sebastian had started with and made it
build on top of the base kickstarts in the spin-kickstarts repo[2] and
built an image with livecd-creator pointed against today's rawhide.
With the livecd-iso-to-disk script in the current livecd-tools[3] repo,
you can do
   ./tools/livecd-iso-to-disk --xo olpc-gnome.iso /path/to/blkdev
and get an image that can then be booted on the XO.  If you use a USB
stick, you'll do
  boot u:\olpc-usb.fth
from OpenFirmware; SD card[4] should be
  boot sd:\olpc-sd.fth

It then boots up into gdm and slowly manages to log into the desktop.  I
suspect that backing the persistence on the USB stick/SD card rather
than in RAM[5] will help, but haven't tried that yet.

Image can be grabbed for now at
http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/olpc/olpc-gnome.iso

Jeremy

[1] Changes include: squashfs as previously done by Sebastian and Jim;
enabling enough device-mapper stuff for dm_snapshot; adding call to
new-kernel-pkg along with appropriate prereq.  And I think that's it
[2] http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=summary
[3] http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=livecd;a=summary
[4] SD is untested as I left my SD card at the office yesterday
apparently.
[5] Using the usual options to livecd-iso-to-disk