Running joyride on Fedora using KVM/QUEMU

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Tue Dec 2 14:09:16 UTC 2008

Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was looking at running the joyride builds within a VM on a Fedora 10
> box and it appears because I don't have a AMD cpu I need to run a
> custom build [1] of qemu to allow for CPU support, I'm not sure of the
> state of the custom build and as I use the qemu/kvm for other VMs I
> don't really want a non standard build. I'm assuming this is from
> upstream, does anyone know what the plan is for F-11 and versions of
> qemu and if there's any plans to pull in a later build, or even if
> there's a new qemu version due? I had a quick search on the qemu devel
> and there was discussion of a new official release back in October but
> I've not seen anything concrete.
>
> Peter
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulating_the_XO/Quick_Start/Linux

If you want to build a vm with sugar on it from fedora, go ahead and try
this:

* yum install appliance-tools python-virtinst
* Download the kickstart file copied from sdizillas in the kickstart
repo:
http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=acex.git;a=blob;f=sugarxo/resources/sugar-f10.ks;
* appliance-creator --name sugarxo --config [PATH TO KSFILE]
* virt-imavge sugarxo.xml
* Then connect via virt-manager or virt-viewer

This will get you a running VM with sugar in it.

-- bk