Fedora 10 on XO

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Fri Dec 5 05:36:28 UTC 2008

Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    > is xfce the right choice?  i know it's "easy", but we should be
>    > sure it's correct.  (i've been using it on my own xo, in a
>    > relatively unsophisticated way, but in the end that only makes it
>    > feel like an unsophisticated interface, so i may not be the best
>    > judge.  :-)
>
> I agree that the choice is yet to be made and isn't totally obvious.
>
> I prefer using GNOME, but our current answer for "How much disk space
> does it require to run Fedora 10 and GNOME and apps?" is "a 4GB SD card
> and 256M of swap", so it seems hard to get there from here.  Maybe we
> can run GNOME and some tiny set of apps without blowing the NAND budget,
> though..
>
> - Chris.

Well, in the early days of the "Fedora on XO" project, I was working
with Jim on evaluating the possibility of reducing Fedora's image size
heavily to make it e.g. fit on the NAND or a SD card. To give you an
idea where we landed: The latest tries with XFCE resulted in an 300 MB
image. Using GNOME didn't change a lot, but if I remember correctly, it
was a few MBs bigger...

--Sebastian