Speeding up Fedora on the XO

Todd Robinson todd at webpath.net
Fri Dec 12 16:29:00 UTC 2008

Just a couple of notes to anyone offering advice in any forums on using
the F10 XO release.

Simply removing 'reset_overlay' from olpc.fth resulted in boot times
dropping from around 7 minutes to about 3
3 minute boot time = 2 min to the login + 1 to load the desktop (rounded
to the nearest minute)

Also, by making the background a solid color (no graphic) and using the
"Mist" theme things are much snapier.

And by creating a file named .gtkrc-2.0 in the home directory which
contains only one line /gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0/, the menus respond
much quicker.

Before I forget...installing flash plugin the "normal fedora way" is
just about impossible without the unit freezing up at some point. And
running the installer with firefox open results in a sure crash (not
enough RAM). But this worked pretty easily for me:
Go to http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/ and download the RPM
(don't select the option to install it, just save it. Then close the
browser and open the "download" folder and click on the file you
downloaded and install it. Obviously the reset_overlay has to be removed
or when the unit is restarted it would need to be installed again.