Sugar-emulator on Fedora 10 Alpha looking good

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Sep 3 08:33:32 UTC 2008

Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Jerry Williams wrote:
>
>> The sugar-emulator on Fedora 10 Alpha is looking pretty good!
>>
>> Just wondering what I can do to help?
>
> If you're interested in packaging work, packaging RPMs of more
> activities could be fun and relatively easy.  And since you're not
> finding any other activies... :)
>
> Check it out:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WishList#OLPC_Wishlist
>
> --g

Here are some notes from my playing with sugar on F10 yesterday.

a) activity installation which
   - the bundlebuilder change has been made and the packaging is on it's
way now

b) xulrunner (we have a specific OLPC version of this build)
   - enable pyxpcom in F-10 package #436581
   - a no-native-theme patch (this must be fixed properly to be accepted)
   - rainbow patch (which does not affect us on Fedora)

c) NM (switch to 0.7)
   - the sugar nmclient and the presence service have to be updated to
the new API (GetDevices instead of getDevices etc)
   - maybe some other changes in NM
   - would be a rewarding work since olpc and other distros would profit
as well

d) better resolution handling
   - the current code is optimized for the XO

e) logout option
   - currently there is no logout option http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8141

f) language
   - on the XO we use ~/.i18n to store the locale
   - a reason for this was to not need root-privileges to change the
language

Best,
    Simon