move to rawhide update

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Apr 7 17:25:15 UTC 2009

 >> If we are talking about 9.1.0, it would be nice if 'sound' and
 >> 'moving pictures' worked in F-11 on the XO. Currently they don't.
 >
 > Are there bugzilla reports for these?

  I. - I haven't figured out how to do an exhaustive search on
bugzilla.  'OLPC' picks up some; 'XO' picks up some; '461806' picks
up some.  But let me emphasize once again - bugzilla appears to be
aimed at the problems of developers (and isn't optimal for users).

  II. - What for me is an inhibitor is the bugzilla section "tell us
how to reproduce the problem".  I have no desire whatsoever to try
to describe how to obtain the Fluendo mp3 codec for an XO, nor how
to follow its instructions for seeing if it works.  I have even less
desire to describe where I obtained a static-linked Mplayer, nor how
I have set up my XO for playing movies.  [Both the mp3 codec and the
Mplayer application work fine in 8.2.1.]  What good would it do for
me to enter a bugzilla report?  A dozen people would ask me for more
information, and for more "try this and try that".  I have better
things to do with my time.

 > What do you mean by 'moving
 > pictures', do you mean recording video or playing video?

I don't try to record video - so I have no idea if it works or not
(see what I mean about being asked questions which I don't know how
to answer?).  The 'Record' activity does not show me a picture of
what the XO camera is supposed to be seeing.  The 'watch&listen'
activity gives me neither 'sound' nor 'moving pictures'.  [IIRC, it
can close prematurely.]  Mplayer runs, but gives me neither 'sound'
nor anything except a blank screen.

mikus