Fwd: 2009-04-21 - Fedora Test Day - Minimal platform

Hi All,

Sorry for the cross post from fedora-devel but this might be of
interest to some of the olpc people. This is something I've been
concentrating on for a while, as I know have others so if you can free
a little bit of time for some testing that would be great.

Cheers,
Peter

Greetings testers,

Calling all package gurus and dependency junkies!  The Fedora 11
MinimalPlatform feature [1] aims to provide a tiny installation package
set by identifying unwanted deps from @Core and related groups.  As
described in the feature page, the benefits to Fedora include:

     * Security - lower the attack surface by installing only necessary
       packages
     * Performance - faster installation and less running services
     * Storage - installation is less than 500MB

There will also be several new tools available to help navigate
dependencies, including rpmreaper and rpm2comps.

Come join #fedora-qa this Tuesday, April 21 2009 to help put an end to
deps creep.  Test cases and a Fedora live image will be available to aid
testing. Stay tuned for more details are available at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-04-21_Minimal_Platform.

Thanks,
James

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MinimalPlatform