New F11-for-XO1 build is available and needs testing

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Aug 2 23:21:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 01:20:06PM -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> Let me relate my experience with 8.2.x (and earlier) builds.  Every
> time I tried an "incremental" olpc-update, it found some sort of a
> mis-matched file -- and switched over to performing some other kind
> of (I presume a "full") update.

Yes, but the "full" update used rsync over the whole filesystem.

> The end result was that the (wall
> clock) time during which my internet connection was "busy" was
> longer than if I had asked for a "full" olpc-update to begin with.

This would vary according to the speed of your internet connection.  I'm
amazed that you could download an entire 450Mb image file within that
time, but then I'm frequently amazed by what is possible in a developed
city.

> [It may have been the fact that I apply additional packages, etc.,
> after installing each new build - that may have been the cause of
> olpc-update deciding to abandon its "incremental" mode.]

No, certainly not.  The files corresponding to the additional packages
would have been deleted by rsync, and this is quite fast.

As I understand it from history, the first mode was more suited to slow
update in the background prior to the cutover.

Recall that a design goal of olpc-update is that the update can happen
progressively while the child has access, and eventually complete,
effective on the next reboot.  /versions trees get repointed.

(yum update by comparison affects the running system, and cannot
practically be reversed or partly done).

> Regarding adopting a specific set of package versions -- I am
> normally concerned only with getting "up-to-date" (i.e., "latest")
> packages when I do 'yum upgrade <package-name>'.  But if I *needed*
> a specific version, I would use 'yumdownloader <package-version>'
> and then use 'rpm' (+ appropriate flags) to explicitly install it.

Yes, your needs are unlike the childrens' needs.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/