hwclock, rtcwake, /etc/adjtime

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Sat Aug 22 13:08:28 UTC 2009

daniel wrote:
 > 2009/8/22 Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org>:
 > > okay.  you had said that kickstart creates /etc/sysconfig/clock,
 > > and that that's what you'd fixed.  mtd's distro has "UTC=True" in
 > > that file, so i figured he already had your fix.  there must be
 > > more to it i guess.  oh -- unless soas-on-xo1 doesn't use kickstart,
 > > and more needs to happen if it doesn't.
 >
 > ok, maybe it's not the complete fix then.
 >
 > Here's how I would expect things to work:
 >
 > kickstart puts UTC=True in /etc/sysconfig/clock
 > this makes fedora init scripts always call hwclock with --utc
 > and this option makes hwclock write "UTC" in /etc/adjtime

that's certainly a reasonable expectation.  :-)

but i find no reference to /etc/sysconfig/clock in any init.d
script, either on the SoaS release or on learn, which is running
a 10.91 rawhide.  there's no facility in either the halt or
ntpdate scripts for hwclocks commandline arguments to be
influenced, so it must be that /etc/adjtime is normally modified
by some other startup or installation script.

 > Perhaps my understanding is flawed/incomplete, or there is a bug somewhere.

makes two of us.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org