Help debug latest rawhide images

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Feb 16 16:12:06 UTC 2009

Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 1:49 AM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   > Well, I was right about olpc_has_dcon() failing, and wrong about
>>   > the reason why.  This upstream commit breaks model detection, and
>>   > reverting it gets the FB working again:
>>
>> A proper fix is headed upstream now:
>>
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mingo/linux-2.6-x86.git;a=commit;h=e49590b6dd356f8ef10ba3531a29e5086f6f2e3a
>>
>>   > Next up is X, which is failing because it doesn't think a DCON is
>>   > present, because /sys/platform/devices/dcon doesn't exist, because
>>   > olpc_dcon isn't loaded, because it isn't upstream.  I'll work on a
>>   > better detection mechanism to put in the geode driver -- Jordan,
>>   > any suggestions?
>>
>> There were a few problems here:
>>
>> * The DCON detection problem above.  I've solved this by just changing
>>  the test to point to a driver that's actually upstream:
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-geode/commit/?id=990ff710c6220cc3d1ba6b9e8fb972bd168b4472
>>
>> * The current HEAD was segfaulting, also now solved in the driver.
>>
>> * I eventually worked out that "modprobe msr" is needed before starting
>>  the driver on Rawhide -- if you don't, you get a screen full of white
>>  snow.  We'll need to get this logic ("if on an xo, do modprobe msr
>>  before X starts") into Fedora proper somehow.  Any ideas?
>
> Is there anyway to detect and load this using HAL rules?
>
>> I'll release a new version of the X driver into Rawhide within a day or
>> so, and the kernel patch above should make its way into Rawhide via
>> Linus at a similar pace.  Once both of these are applied, I'm happy to
>> report that I can get to a functional GNOME desktop, using Sebastian's
>> olpc-gnome kickstart file.
>
> Is this on the net somewhere?
>
> Peter

Yep, it is, indeed. ;)

Here you go: http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/fedora-xo

I've recently modified the olpc-desktop.ks - it's now the one which
includes GNOME as well as Sugar, so that you should be able to switch
between them.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! BTW: The final image file
shouldn't be much bigger than 300 MB...

--Sebastian