Help debug latest rawhide images

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Tue Feb 17 17:39:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

   > We don't use ramdisks anywhere, just initramfs.  And even so, they
   > wouldn't take memory off the top off total.  Is memory being
   > reserved for use by the Geode graphics?  dmesg should show all of
   > the memory regions (or /proc/iomem)

We're using 16M for the framebuffer -- with our own kernel, we see 238M
total, which is 256M-18M.  The F11 kernel shows 213M total, so there's
an extra 25M unaccounted for.  Here's an interesting difference in
/proc/iomem:

Our build 656:
 00100000-0edfcfff : System RAM
   00400000-00617595 : Kernel code
   00617596-006e21b3 : Kernel data

F11:
 00100000-0e0cd7ff : System RAM
   00400000-006dc7d5 : Kernel code
   006dc7d6-00954d6f : Kernel data
   00afa000-01054fab : Kernel bss
   01ee8000-01ee8fff : Local APIC

Scott suggested that this might be bigmem/page table descriptor stuff.
I think the 25M is probably the difference between being able to load
apps and not being able to load apps, so worth seeing if we can do
anything about it.

Thanks,

- Chris.
--