packaging for native OLPC platform

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 05:47:00 UTC 2009

> The difference between the Joyride-2616 build and the Joyride-2617 build was
> two packages:  glibc & glibc-common.  Yet when I tried to use 'yum' to fetch
> and apply these two packages to my Joyride-2616 system, 'yum' failed with
> the error "glibc-common <version being replaced> is needed by glibc <version
> being replaced> (installed)."
>
> Obviously, in this case 'yum' had failed to solve "dependency hell".

Can you do a rpm -qa | grep glibc and see if the glibc reports the
i686 version? I've seen this before with some of the AMD geode
processors where the build process uses the i686 package as it can run
fine on this particular AMD processor but in actual fact its an i586
processor so yum/rpm think there should be the i386 version and hence
don't see that glibc.i686 needs upgrading but glibc-common being i386
does but conflicts. You can force the upgrade by downloading the rpms
and using "rpm -Uvh --ignorearch glibc-package-names.rpm" but I'm not
sure the proper fix for this issue. I'm pretty sure the particular AMD
processors supports all the necessary instructions to run the i686
packages (and I've not seen issues running them on a Fit-PC) but I
don't know the best solution to the problem. jkatz or someone similar
might be able to shed further light on the issue and proper
resolution.

Peter