[Sugar-devel] Show Must Go On - SoaS for the XO-1

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Jul 30 00:23:07 UTC 2009

On 29 Jul 2009, at 03:28, Gary C Martin wrote:

> Incase it rings any bells, thought I'd just mention that screen
> dimming has now stopped altogether for me. I've reset powerd pref
> changes back to the default but no luck. It still powers off the
> screen, but no back-light auto-dimming. The closest I have to narrow
> things is that I noticed the dimming seemed to stop after I manually
> adjusted the screen brightness with the keyboard (maybe I tried to
> adjust it when it was already auto-dimmed, or some such permutation).

Many apologies for this, on further poking it turned out to be a
"problem between desk and chair" (user error). I misread the /etc/
powerd/powerd.conf comments and thought config_IDLE_DIM_LEVEL was
represented as a percentage brightness (0-100), but it is actually
based on the 0-15 hardware levels available. It was originally set at
5, and in an attempt to reduce the dimming up/down behaviour, I'd set
it to 50 (15 or above is no dimming), and then later assumed it was a
percentage.

Regarding dimming: I think it's less that the current dimming settings
that distracts me, but the apparent random wake-ups – I'm assume it is
network, or intermittent background activity that wakes things up.
I'll try reducing the config_CPU_IDLE_LIMIT and see if that helps
prevent seemingly random wake-ups.

Apologies,
--Gary