Test run of 2009/05/25 image

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Jun 4 09:17:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

Forewarning: non scientific tests...

* "occasional" creating devices hang

  For me, it was "occasional" boot. Once it took 16 boots, the last
  3 of which separated by two hours from the other 13.

* wasted memory
  GNOME just SHOULDN'T be there. A simpler window manager  will
  make it much better. I installed OpenBox but it was very hard
  because of OOM killer :)

* OpenBox launches way too many GNOME daemons.
  I had to kill a lot of them by hand in order to get some more
  free memory.

* not enough memory for yum
  99% of the attempts to install anything resulted in OOM kills

* speed of GNOME interface was acceptable
  really, this was the biggest surprise I had...

Conclusion:

   fedora-olpc, to be a sucess, needs a much slimmer UI than that
   of GNOME.

Rui