decisions coming up

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Mar 6 08:26:43 UTC 2009

> * should we use an overlay for /home?  how big?

I have no idea how overlays work.  My suggestion would be to somehow
preserve /home, such that when a new rawhide .img (i.e., build) gets
installed, the previous content of /home is not affected.  [For
instance, if the user has put a symbolic link into some directory in
/home -- that link is still there even when the content of '/' gets
changed by the process of installing the new rawhide version.]

How big ?  The answer depends upon where/how Activities are placed.
If I can figure out how to do it, I would put all my Activities on
my SD card (*not* affected by rawhide .img installs), and only have
symbolic links in /home to where the activity stuff actually
resides.  [That is, /home could be 10MB or so.]  In the current
rawhide-xo builds, activity stuff is in /usr/share/sugar (i.e., it
*is* affected by rawhide .img installs).  If this situation
continues, again only symbolic links need to be in /home, which can
be quite small.  But if Activities themselves were to be placed in
/home, then one might have to set aside some 500MB to hold them.

> * should we partition the NAND and swap to it?

I'm a great believer in swap files.  [On my "production" XO (on
which I've run 100%-CPU-using background computations) I have an
external hard disk with the XO's swap file on it.]  But I don't see
any reason for the very people who _supply_ the XO to be the ones to
supply software which wears out the NAND.  My recommendation is to
document/make_easy for people to add cheap non-built-in storage to
function as a swap file.  [I'm particularly thinking of an SD card
being used for the XO's swap file.]

> * maybe, at least for NAND, we should be using an installed image rather
>   than a live image?

Speaking for myself, I have no interest in "preserving" one system
on NAND while "plugging in" a second ("live") system via some other
device.  [I 'copy-nand' the rawhide-xo .img into NAND, and only then
run it.]  I have gone out of my way to purchase several XOs, so I
can afford to have two XOs for 8.2.1, one XO for rawhide, etc.

> * should the bootable.gz include a swap partition?

Could somebody please tell me how the bootable.gz gets used ?
Does it get loaded into a running workstation, so as to set up a
"virtual system" for the purpose of doing testing of rawhide ?

Thanks,  mikus