easy questions for Fedora gurus

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Sun Mar 8 03:26:47 UTC 2009

Hi Scott,

   > 1. when I install new kernel via yum update, do I need to rebuild
   > the initrd-*.img that came with that kernel in order for the
   > /dev/root disk label to be known? Right now, I can't boot any new
   > kernel as the "/dev/root" device specified in olpc.fth can not be
   > found by the new kernel.

It's because "jffs2" and "cafe_nand" are missing from those initrds.
I think if we specified those in /etc/modprobe.conf, they'd be read by
mkinitrd at kernel install time and bundled into the initrd.  If you
put them in that file before installing the new kernel, does that work?

(If so, please send us a patch to our kickstart file that writes them
there.)

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>