[Sugar-devel] XO-1 keyboard issues, partial setxkbmap workaround

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 23:53:01 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, March 25 2009, Peter Robinson said:
> > I'm trying to implement a very basic python module for handling XKB
> > stuff. It is based on libxklavier[1], and can currently show the
> > layouts available, as well as the variants for each layout. I will put
> > this into Git as soon as I have figured out how to set the XKB
> > configuration as well.
> > libxklavier is Gobject based, but the standard PyGobject wrapping
> > stuff (h2def, etc) did not work for me, so I decided to do a
> > simplified module instead, which should take care of all our
> > requirements for the time being.
>
> Fedora has a package called system-config-keyboard which is written in
> python. Not sure if that can be of help to you.

>From someone who's had way too much to do with system-config-keyboard,
I'd say it's not helpful and would warn against it.  That said, it is
worth looking at the gnome control-center keyboard stuff -- while C
based instead of python, it's likely along a similar line of what's
trying to be done.  And sharing is better than reinventing the wheel.
Plus, that could then help with the future idea of anaconda switching to
something like that :-)

Jeremy