yum update crashes os7

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Sat Oct 10 01:35:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 02:55:59PM -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> Since I messed up my installation I re-downloaded os7 and after a
> yum update (with corrected repo files) updated 61 files including
> the olpc20091009 kernel and after restart it fail with a dracut
> problem.  The attached picture is from the XO screen (easier than
> describing it...:) This is a problem I had seen using soas71xo too.

I can't see the image right now but it might be that the new fedora
kernel has been installed last and "taken over" from the OLPC kernel.

"rpm -e --force kernel" might fix it.

You should double-check that the symlink in /boot points to the olpc
kernel and that there is no initrd symlink -- since ISTR that you're
using an XO and dracut will refust to boot on that at the moment.

In fact, you might try trashing your /boot/initrd before you also
remove the kernel, in case the Fedora kernel boots (I don't know that
it does, and suspect it doesn't).

Martin