XO Special interest group at Sugar Labs

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 20:41:12 UTC 2009

Hi David,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 7:48 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> For the past several months the OLPC/Sugar Labs ecosystem has been
> getting requests to provide releases of more recent versions of Sugar
> on the XO.
>
> The leading effort in this direction seems to be the F11-XO1 project.
> I would like to like to invite F11-XO1 to become part of the XO SIG.
> I have been trying to articulate the project goals and gather momentum
> across several groups.
> 1.  OLPC as a downstream.
> 2. Sugar Labs as a focus point.
> 3. Various ecosystem leaders to do pilots with current versions of Sugar on XOs.
> 4. Various testers to provide user level testing.
>
> The goal of this groups is not to _fragment_ the existing efforts.
> The goal is bring the various efforts together to form a critical mass
> to help pull this propel forward.

As far as I'm aware there is no F11-XO1 project, I'm aware of a couple
of different projects to get the latest Sugar releases on the XO.
- The SoaS on XO which is being run my Martin Dengler in conjunction
with SoaS and SL (that's where its all hosted).
- The OLPC project to get Fedora 11 on both the XO-1.5 and XO-1 which
is being handled by Steven M. Parrish (and Daniel Drake / Chris Ball)

Both projects are cross pollinated and use components of work done by
both as well as myself and other Fedora upstream people. I don't
believe there's much difference between them as where possible I
believe most stuff is pushed upsteam. There is no current Fedora based
project working on this directly due to the down stream projects.

I have my own build that I use but that isn't generally published and
is mostly to test core fedora for dependency bloat and breakages.

I suggest you speak with the parties mentioned above for further information.

Peter