[Fedora-packaging] Updated kernel-module-packaging example with ndiswrapper (Was: example kernel-module package)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 14:30:53 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 21:01 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> > 1) create the debug-pkg ourself and don't rely on the internal rpm
> > solution.
> [...]
> > If 1) is easy I'll vote for that.
>
> I tried, was not that hard (if I didn't miss anything). Results are
> found at
> http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/MISC.fdr/kernel-module-example/
> in the wiki at
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/KernelModuleProposal

I like this approach the best. The only change is that the -debuginfo
package needs to Require: kernel-module-%{mainpkgname} (its not any good
without it).

As to location, I'm very inclined to standardize on:
/lib/modules/%{kver}/extra/%{mainpkgname}

To address Thorsten's concerns:

- Lots of external documentation conflicts with what we package in
Fedora Core or Fedora Extras. rpm -ql kernel-module-openafs works very
well. :)

- Double existing modules. Same thing happens if you compile Apache by
hand, you get two copies of Apache on the system. There may EVEN be
cases in which you want to do this for kernel modules. The modutils look
for the first module which matches that name in the tree. By using
extras/, we trump the kernel/ drivers directory.

I think it is important to point out which drivers came with the FC
kernel, and which ones are provided by FE addon packages. Using the
"extra" namespace is the cleanest way to do this.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!