[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Christian.Iseli at licr.org Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Mon Jul 4 16:31:42 UTC 2005

mattdm at mattdm.org said:
> And that we should have a registry of standard fixed UIDs within that range,
> right?

That's the part I don't understand: why a global registry ?

Isn't the point of adding local UIDs to get a kind of macro thing, i.e. what
is standard is the name, which should be the same on all machines, but nobody
cares what the actual UID is ?

I agree it can get a bit hairy when several machines share things by NFS, but
having a central global UID registry also seems hairy.

The only real special UID is numbered 0.

But probably I'm overlooking something obvious :)

Anybody cares to explain ?

Thanks,
					Christian