[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jul 6 18:16:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 12:54 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 06:31:42PM +0200, Christian.Iseli at licr.org wrote:
> > mattdm at mattdm.org said:
> > > And that we should have a registry of standard fixed UIDs within that range,
> > > right?
> > That's the part I don't understand: why a global registry ?
>
> So that multiple systems have the same ids. Or so that if you do a
> reinstall, your files have the same owners.

I save my /etc/passwd file for reinstall.

For multiple machines where identical UID/GID is needed - you generally
should not be relying on local /etc/passwd. If you have a laptop that
needs to share UID/GID - then you manually set up the /etc/passwd
and /etc/group for that laptop.

A system administrator on a network where keeping UID/GID in sync is
important should know how to do it w/o Fedora needing to specify a
registry of unames and groups.

Follow the FHS - below 100 reserved for vendor, 100-499 for system
accounts not specified by vendor, 500 and above for user accounts.

That works now, and no registry (which needs maintenance) is needed.