[Fedora-packaging] Kernel modules (was: Re: tpctl in extras missing dependancy for kernel-module-thinkpad)

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jun 28 18:00:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 12:39 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> Clearly the kernel buildsystem (I can see this being separate from
> Plague, at least in the beginning)

And I can see _that_ happening sometime around FC-8 ;)

AFAIK there's no absolute _need_ to have a separate buildsystem, not
even because of the current impossibility to have both i586 and i686
kernel-devel for the same kernel installed at the same time.  Just
specify for example

   BuildRequires: kernel-devel-%{_target_cpu} = %{kernel}

in the module specfile (where %{kernel} is the "uname -r" output for the
target kernel, and the correct --target has been passed to the build),
and let the depsolver do its job.  There are no kernel-devel packages
included in the default minimal build roots that could screw this up,
right?

If so, a simple (from the module packager POV, dunno about the buildsys
side) extension to the current CVS target could be for example:

   make build ARCH="i586 i686 x86_64 ppc"

This could be a useful feature for other packages than kernel module
ones too, should we ever want to ship eg. something built for i686 in
the i386 repo.